Financing your education with grants

Grants provide college students with money to help finance their education that does not need to be repaid. They are often awarded based on financial need.

Colleges like NCAD provide institutional grants to help make up the difference between college costs and what a family can be expected to contribute through income, savings, loans, and student earnings.

Merit Awards and Scholarships

Other institutional grants, known as merit awards or merit scholarships, are awarded on the basis of academic achievement. Some merit awards are offered only to students whose families demonstrate financial need; others may be awarded without regard to a family’s finances.

Federal Government Sponsors:


Pell Grants

The amount of the grant depends on your financial need and other factors, including the amount of time you attend college (whether a full academic year or less, and whether you attend full-time or part-time).

Where can I find more information on Grants?

A great source of information is NCAD’s Financial Aid Office.

State governments may also offer grant programs, with varying eligibility and application requirements. Contact your state’s department of education for information.