Student Resources and Support

Home / Academics / Academic Policies / Student Resources and Support


Administrative staff is available by appointment for student advising regarding finances, academic progress, attendance, and scheduling. The director of education is available to discuss academic and school-related concerns.

Animals on Campus

In accordance with Titles II and III of the American with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), NCAD allows persons with a disability to bring authorized service animals on college property. Emotional support animals and other animals are not permitted on college grounds or in college classrooms.

Definitions (Specific to This Policy)

Person With a Disability

An individual with a disability is a person with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such impairment, or is regarded as having such impairment.

Service Animals

A service animal is a dog individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. Examples of such work and tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, and alerting/protecting a person who is having a seizure. The provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship does not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of defining a service animal.

Service animal categories include:

  • Service dog: Assists an individual who has a mobility impairment with tasks, including but not limited to providing balance and stability, retrieving items, and pulling wheelchairs
  • Guide dog: Assists an individual who is blind or visually impaired with tasks, including but not limited to aiding in navigation and alerting the individual to dangers such as moving cars
  • Hearing dog: Assists an individual who is deaf or hearing impaired by alerting the individual to the presence of sounds or people
  • Alert/response dog: Alerts an individual to a seizure or other medical condition
  • Psychiatric service dog: Aids an individual with a cognitive, psychiatric, or neurological disability

Therapy dogs, emotional support dogs and companion dogs are NOT service dogs under the ADA.

Emotional Support Animals

An emotional support animal is an animal that is necessary to afford a person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling when there is an identifiable relationship or nexus between the person’s disability and the assistance.

Criteria for Service Animals in Campus Buildings

The service animal must have been trained as a service animal in work or tasks directly related to the person’s disability.

Individuals are permitted to bring their service animal to all areas of the campus, including buildings and any places of public accommodation.

Procedures for Obtaining Approval to Use a Service Animal on Campus

Students are required to submit an accommodation request to the NCAD director of education to bring service animals onto campus or into a college building. Students with disabilities may also seek further advice on additional services the college can provide.

Career Placement Assistance

Our mission is to provide our students with the skills and job training employers value. And our support does not stop at the door of the classroom.

A career placement representative is always available to help our students take advantage of opportunities for employment and advancement during their education, when they graduate, and as they begin to establish themselves in their chosen creative field.

Our Career Placement Department services are free of charge. We cannot promise or guarantee anyone a job after graduation, but we do promise to support our students and alumni in their search for employment.

Professional Networking

During the course of their studies, our students have opportunities for professional networking with instructors, program advisory committee members, classmates, and internship mentors. These professionals are often able to identify diverse employment opportunities and provide references, and are extremely valuable as job search resources.

Career Placement Services

Our career placement services include:

  • Individual employment counseling
  • Job referrals based on individual and employer needs
  • Resume and cover letter development
  • Interview techniques
  • Maintaining business relationships within the greater Seattle area community to further promote and place our graduates in professional employment positions
  • Personalized assistance post-graduation for two years to further develop effective strategies for securing and maintaining art-related jobs
  • Workshops and seminars on “what it takes to make it” in the art world as a young creative professional


Faculty members are practicing professionals and hold M.F.A., M.A., B.A., or B.F.A. degrees or are nondegree practicing professionals with ACCSC approval. Faculty members are responsible for instruction, curriculum development, and evaluation of student academic and artistic progress. Faculty assignments are subject to change.

Governing Structure of the School

The school administrative staff assumes the responsibility for the daily schedules, meetings, recording procedures, and day-to-day school operations, including admissions, finance, personnel, recruitment, student services, and facilities.

  • President/Director: Craig Freeman
  • Finance Director: Kim Perigard
  • Director of Education: Julius Finley
  • Registrar: Felicia Chang
  • Financial Aid Officer & Title IX Coordinator: Julie Perigard
  • Career Services Coordinator: Cory Ladd
  • Marketing/Technology Manager: Skye Carlson
  • Student Services Coordinator: Rich Johanson
  • Grounds/Facilities Manager: Dan Rothrock
  • Admissions Department:
    • Admissions Coordinator: Jessie Kempf
    • Admissions Representative: Ashley Miller
    • Admissions Representative: Ciara Davis Stephens
    • Admissions Representative: Christopher Taylor

Soloman Amendment

This amendment requires that NCAD make the following directory information available to military recruiting offices: name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, level of education, academic major, degrees received, and educational institution most recently enrolled in. Students are advised that they have the right to prohibit the college from disbursing this information by providing a written request to the registrar’s office. This request must be in the student’s academic file prior to the military’s request to provide data.

Student Services

From the moment a student enrolls at NCAD, our administrative staff is available to offer help and assistance. They can and do assist with the many concerns that arise as our students make the transition to college. New students will be introduced to our administrative staff at our annual New Student Orientation.


Advisors are available to help individual students with various issues such as course attendance, academic concerns, financial challenges, and placement opportunities.

Career Preparation

At NCAD, we provide career advising from the moment our students begin their first course. Getting to know our students and their career goals helps us guide and prepare them throughout their college experience and beyond.

Counseling Services

NCAD does not provide professional counseling services. At their request, the NCAD director of education will refer anyone interested in seeking mental health counseling to local, professional mental health service providers.


Our campus has a staffed library available for all students, faculty, and staff. Periodicals, books, and printed reference resources are available for student use. Computers provide internet access. WiFi is available throughout all buildings.

Computer Lab

NCAD has four computer labs available for student use. Schedules are posted on the lab doors. Files on the computers and the server may be deleted every week. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their work has been backed up.

Abuse of hardware technology as outlined in the student conduct policy, using computers and printers for personal (not school-related) work, and eating and drinking in the labs are strictly prohibited. Students who violate computer lab rules will be subject to the student conduct policy and may be fined $25 per offense and banned from lab use.

New-Student Orientation and Tours

NCAD offers new-student orientation sessions before the start of each fall semester. Prospective students and their families are also invited to tour the campus when in the process of choosing a school. To schedule a tour, please call 800-769-ARTS.

Student Activities

Student activities, such as student art shows and social activities, are made available throughout the year. Several examples of social activities from the recent past include a day hiking trip, going to the Seattle Art Walk, paintball, a campus basketball tournament, Mariners baseball games, and volleyball games on the grounds. Students interested in participating in these events should request information from the administration.

Veterans Affairs

NCAD’s academic program of study is approved by a Washington State Approving Agency for enrollment of those eligible for benefits under Title 38 and Title 10 U.S. Code. Veterans and dependents should contact the main office for more information.

The financial aid officer, located in the administration office, provides guidance to veteran students enrolled at the college. Services provided on campus for veterans include:

  • Information about how to apply for VA benefits
  • Academic advising throughout the student’s program

For veterans’ minimum standard of progress, please refer to the satisfactory progress policy. All students will be given a midterm progress report at week 8-9 and a final transcript after the end of each semester. Benefits for living expenses are paid directly to the students. Tuition benefits are paid directly to the school. Students should allow for the initial startup and have their own funds to register and pay for books and supplies. NCAD does not waive any portion of tuition that VA benefits may not meet.

For additional information and assistance, contact the financial aid officer or visit the Veterans Administration website at to apply.