A.O.S. Degree in User Experience (UX) Design
The A.O.S. program in User Experience (UX) Design provides students with an intensive education in User Experience (UX) Design. A UX Designer is responsible for converting a product’s development, research, content and layout into an attractive, guiding and responsive experience for users.
The goal of the program with its applied emphasis is to prepare students to succeed in the competitive world of User Experience (UX) Design.
Educational Objectives of the A.O.S. Degree in User Experience (UX) Design
Primary Educational Objectives
NCAD has set its educational objectives for the A.O.S. degree in User Experience (UX) Design as follows:
- Fundamental Knowledge: Graduates of the program will be skilled in the fundamental concepts of design necessary for success in professional creative industry.
- Specialization: Graduates of the program will be prepared to pursue career choices in User Experience (UX) Design or related fields that benefits from a strong background in applied design.
- Design Skills: Graduates of the program will be prepared with problem solving skills, laboratory skills, and design skills for technical careers.
- Professional Skills: Graduates of the program will be prepared with communication and teamwork skills as well as an appreciation for ethical behavior necessary to thrive in their careers.
- Self Learning: Graduates of the program will be prepared to continue their professional development through continuing education and personal experiences.
Knowledge/Skills Expected to be Demonstrated in A.O.S. in User Experience (UX) Design Graduate Portfolio
- Demonstrate strong conceptualization ability, strong visual communication ability, drawing skills and sketchbook technique
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate with product management, engineering, and/or development team, marketing and product strategists to define and implement solutions for product direction, visuals and experience
- Demonstrate ability to create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and nav maps to effectively represent user scenarios and communicate interaction solutions and design ideas
- Demonstrate ability to present and advocate for your designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders
- Demonstrate willingness to receive feedback and impartially pivot on solutions in light of new data or changes in focus
- Demonstrate competence with User personas/archetypes, A/B test-cases and results, Investigative user studies & interviews
- Demonstrate experience with user interface design patterns and standard UCD methodologies
- Demonstrate understanding of and ability to utilize tools and technology as needed
- Demonstrate understanding of common (software) project management practices
- Demonstrate understanding of and ability to utilize common design (software) development practices
- Demonstrate understanding of web design process, and basic ability to design and develop basic HTML and CSS web site prototypes (as needed)