At NCAD, transfer students are valued members of our campus community. Transfer applicants are evaluated in part on the basis of their previous college work and must provide an official transcript from each college attended to be considered for transfer credit. Credit that has been successfully completed at other US accredited institutions (including Running Start credits) may be transferred to Northwest College of Art and Design.
Official transcript of grades and course outlines must be presented no later than August 1st for evaluation.
Transfer credit will not be granted after the August 1st deadline. A portfolio evaluation may be required.
No more than 50% of the program may transfer. Transferring credit may reduce program length; however, reduction is not guaranteed. Transferring credit may require the student to drop to a part-time status at certain times during the program.
Credit is not available for life experience.
Standard high school courses other than AP or Running Start classes do not apply.
Transfer Credit Criteria:
- Technical/Occupational Courses must have been completed with a grade of B or better within the last 5 years.
- General Education Courses must have been completed with a grade of C+ or better, there is not time limit on these courses.
- Transferring credit(s) meet NCAD’s semester course requirements. One Semester is equal to two quarters.
- Courses must be comparable in scope and content to courses offered at NCAD.
- Standard high school courses other than Advanced Placement or Running Start courses do not apply.
- Applicant may be asked to demonstrate appropriate knowledge & proficiency. Portfolio or examples may be requested.
Advanced Placement (AP) Evaluation Requirements
Advanced Placement (AP) credits taken in high school will be evaluated for transfer credit based on the following requirements:
Score of 5
NCAD Faculty review of AP portfolio to determine what class the credits will be transferred for (i.e. Drawing, Color/Form, Design, etc.). Faculty reserves the right to interview the student before transfer is approved.
Score of 5
This class will be transferred for Art Introduction — the first semester class in the Art History series.
Score of 4-5
AP Course (English / Psychology / Environmental Science / Quantitative Principles) will be transferred for appropriate NCAD general education class. NCAD faculty reserves the right to interview the student before transfer is approved.
Transfer NCAD Credit To Another College
Northwest College of Art & Design is not a school that concentrates on preparing students to continue their education in another field or at another school. NCAD programs are technical in nature, with an emphasis on preparation for entry-level arts occupations, and therefore may not be transferable to other arts programs.
Students interested in transferring credits should check with the receiving institution directly to determine to what extent, if any, credits can be transferred.
(NCAD does not guarantee the transferability of NCAD credits.)