A.O.S. Degree in Graphic Design
The A.O.S. program in Graphic Design provides students with an intensive education in Graphic Design, and in the examination and practice of contemporary and historical graphic design practices and traditions.
A graphic designer is a visual communicator: someone who takes ideas and gives them visual form so that others can understand them.
Graphic Designers develop the overall layout and production design for products like advertisements, t-shirts, brochures, magazines, corporate reports, logos, identity design, etc…
The goal of the program with its applied emphasis is to prepare students to succeed in the competitive world of Graphic Design.
Educational Objectives of the A.O.S. Degree in Graphic Design
Primary Educational Objectives
NCAD has set its educational objectives for the A.O.S. degree in Graphic Design as follows:
- Fundamental Knowledge: Graduates of the program will be skilled in the fundamental concepts of design necessary for success in professional creative industry.
- Specialization: Graduates of the program will be prepared to pursue career choices in Graphic Design or related fields that benefits from a strong background in applied design.
- Design Skills: Graduates of the program will be prepared with problem solving skills, laboratory skills, and design skills for technical careers.
- Professional Skills: Graduates of the program will be prepared with communication and teamwork skills as well as an appreciation for ethical behavior necessary to thrive in their careers.
- Self Learning: Graduates of the program will be prepared to continue their professional development through continuing education and personal experiences.
Knowledge/Skills Expected to be Demonstrated in A.O.S. in Graphic Design Graduate Portfolio
- Demonstrate strong critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Demonstrate the ability to solve communication problems including identifying the problem, researching, analysis, solution generating, design prototyping, user testing and outcome evaluation
- Demonstrate the ability to create and develop visual response to communication problems, including understanding of hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, composition and construction of meaningful images
- Demonstrate the ability to design products to meet the needs and tastes of diverse clients and audiences
- Demonstrate understanding of and ability to utilize tools and technology as needed
- Demonstrate ability to establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
- Demonstate ability to present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders