A.O.S. Degree in User Concept Art
The A.O.S. program in Graphic Design provides students with an intensive education in Concept Art. What is Concept Art? Concept art is a form of visual design used to convey an idea for use in films, video games, animation, advertising or other visual media.
The goal of the program with its applied emphasis is to prepare students to succeed in the extremely competitive career of Concept Artist.
Educational Objectives of the A.O.S. Degree in Concept Art/h4>
Primary Educational Objectives
NCAD has set its educational objectives for the A.O.S. degree in Concept Art as follows:
- Fundamental Knowledge: Graduates of the program will be skilled in the fundamental concepts of design necessary for success in professional creative industry.
- Specialization: Graduates of the program will be prepared to pursue career choices in Concept Artn or related fields that benefits from a strong background in applied design.
- Design Skills: Graduates of the program will be prepared with problem solving skills, laboratory skills, and design skills for technical careers.
- Professional Skills: Graduates of the program will be prepared with communication and teamwork skills as well as an appreciation for ethical behavior necessary to thrive in their careers.
- Self Learning: Graduates of the program will be prepared to continue their professional development through continuing education and personal experiences.
Knowledge/Skills Expected to be Demonstrated in A.O.S. in Concept Art Graduate Portfolio
- Demonstrate ability to create clean, observational, and mechanical drawings
- Demonstrate understanding of color theory, value structure, and lighting fundamentals with an application to both character and environment concept art
- Demonstrate understanding of industrial design with an application in describing and designing for function and form
- Demonstrate understanding of human anatomy with an ability to design and render realistic female/male concepts
- Demonstrate understanding of animal anatomy with an ability to design and render realistic animal and creature concepts
- Demonstrate understanding of geography, geology, terrain, and flora with an ability to design and render realistic environment concepts
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of architectural styles throughout history with an application to design and render architectural concepts
- Demonstrate understanding of material definition with an ability to render highly realistic materials as needed
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate with art directors, designers, programmers, modelers, and/or animators and others as needed
- Demonstrate understanding of and ability to utilize tools and technology as needed
- Demonstrate ability to create photorealistic work
- Demonstrate ability to work within specific styles, including a style set by another artist or art director